Imagine that... a world where journalists spend their time sussing out the good stories, the true heroes, the real celebrations. And not just hyping the horror, the sadness, the tragedy, the terrifying.
However amidst these shocking news stories that span our over-burdened television screens and interrupt our radio waves, there is a burst of the much-needed humourous.
Poking fun at politicians is nothing new, but mostly done through 2D cartoons and in newspapers. Until 2009 that is, when well-known cartoonist Zapiro (adored/ admired/ despised depending on which side of his pencil you sit) conceptualised the ZANews concept with fellow co-founder Thierry Cassuto, to bring some of SA's true characters to life in wonderful ways.
With much excitement ahead of their recent South African Film and Television Award (SAFTA) nominations, we have twisted the facts into a quick read 1- 10 ZANews Factfile.
Did you know?
1. Only one TV station currently airs SA's political satire animation and that is TopTV!
2. ZANews has been running on TopTV for two years now!
3. The end of the current season is on 3 March 2013.
4. Besides TopTV, there are four other places you can find ZANews - www.zanews.co.za, DVDs, SA's iTunes and as a cartoon in The Big Issue magazine
5. A total of five seasons of ZANews have been created!
6. ZANews has been nominated for 6 SAFTAs!
7. The 7th year of South African Film and TV Awards takes place on 15 & 16 March.
8. You can watch ZANews at 8:30pm on Tuesdays on TopOne (and Sundays at 9pm)
9. ZANews was launched in 2009 by co-founders Zapiro and Thierry Cassuto
10. In 2010, they won a variety of awards including a blog award, newsmaker of the year and even a music award for their collaboration with Freshlyground for 'Chicken for Change'.
Wanna find out more? Read this full report on their achievements as written on EncoreOnline.co.za (thanks for the inspiration) Oh, and congratulations ZANews!
Rock on people rocking the way we think about 'news',